This section provides an overview of what will happen after a
person dies, and includes information on:
Who should I contact?
If the death occurs in an institution such as a nursing home or
in a hospital, you should call your FDANZ funeral director, who
will be able to guide through all that needs to be done.
If the death occurs at home, as well as contacting your FDANZ
funeral director, you should also call your doctor, who will be
required to determine the cause of death.
There are a number of legal requirements when someone dies,
which your FDANZ funeral director will take care of:
- The legal requirement to dispose of a body in a timely
- Where a body can be disposed of, for example, cemetery,
crematorium, burial at sea.
- The requirement to register the death.
Find out more
These brochures are produced by the Funeral Directors
Association of New Zealand and are available free of charge. Please
contact your FDANZ funeral director to
request a copy.
- Funerals - Knowing what to do when someone dies.
- Time Together -Spending time with a person who has died.